Saturday, September 25, 2010

Finally in Iraq


We are finally in Iraq. So much has happened since I had access to my computer, I hope I can get it all in.

Not much sleep last night, up early enduring pretty serious security checks in Amman before boarding the plane to Iraq. They don't play. You could feel the collective sigh of relief once we were all actually on the plane.

A while into the flight, the pilot made the announcement that we would be entering Iraqi air space in four minutes. Several of the mothers were suddenly very emotional. Across the aisle from me, Ann pulled out a picture of her daughter and held it tight as we came into Iraq. Then she was holding hands with other mothers, some kissing pictures of their children, some just quietly crying. Toughest moment yet for the moms. And for the photographer.

ch

7 comments:

  1. Very good Cindy. I love the picture. I know it was very emotional for all. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Can't read for crying. What an incredible experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine, what these Mothers must be going through, your picture shows it though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Thinking of you -- so glad you arrived safely. Breathe it all in, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine what you guys were feeling flying into Iraqi air space. As I sit here this afternoon reading your words aloud to Paul, Nick and Emily, I fought back tears myself. I am SO INCREDIBLY glad you were able and DECIDED to do this. The absolute trip of a lifetime. Your photographs are awesome, and we thank you for sharing them with us. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get home. Godspeed, my friend. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, strong photo of the hands and the photograph. You're also doing a great job with all the others. Keep up the good work. BTW, I thought you said you couldn't write. You're doing a great job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo, Cindy! Very powerful. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete